ModGov Infozone - Click to go to Tamworth Borough Council website

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services 01827 709616 


No. Item


Apologies for Absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor A Cooper.


Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 138 KB

To receive and approve the minutes of the meetings on:

·       15th September 2021; and

·       27th September 2021


Additional documents:


The minutes of the previous two meetings held on 15th September 2021 and 27th September 2021 were approved as a correct record.


(Moved by Councillor S Goodall and seconded by Councillor R Claymore)


Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of Members’ interests (personal and/or personal and prejudicial) in any matters which are to be considered at this meeting.


When Members are declaring a personal interest or personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they have dispensation, they should specify the nature of such interest.  Members should leave the room if they have a personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they do not have a dispensation. 




There were no declarations of interest.


Update from the Chair

To receive an update from the Chair


The Chair reported that he had met with Officers and the Portfolio Holder for Regulatory and Community Safety regarding questions on Travellers following the working group’s meeting.  The Chair reported that Officers and the Portfolio Holder expected to be able to bring an update to this Committee in the new year for this Committee’s consideration. 


The Chair moved and the Committee agreed that the agenda order be amended such that item 7 (Electric Vehicle Charging Points) followed by item 6 (Public Space Protection Orders Kettlebrook and Warwickshire Moor) be considered in that order prior to the remaining agenda items.




Electric Vehicle Charging Points

To receive an update on the Electric Vehicle Charging Points recommendations made to Cabinet from the Portfolio Holder and Officers


The Chair provided an overview of this item and the previous recommendations of this Committee to Cabinet from 2019 onwards.  The Chair reported that he had requested an update on progress be brought to this Committee and he welcomed to the meeting the Leader of the Council, the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Leisure and the Head of Economic Development and Regeneration.


The Leader of the Council reported that, since May 2021, each Cabinet member’s portfolio included responsibility for Climate Change agenda and that the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Leisure had specific responsibility for proposals for electric vehicle charging points on Borough owned assets such as car parks and garage sites.


The Head of Economic Development and Regeneration reported that operating model 2, which was the method selected by Cabinet to be pursued, involved the lease of land to an EV charging point operating company.  This involved low upfront costs and low maintenance for the Council and which provided the Council with less control, less income going forward, and meant that the location would be limited by the EV company’s preferences.  A further marketing exercise had been pursued, and whilst the criteria had meant that this had been challenging, it had resulted in two spaces in two car parks with high traffic flow being identified and had resulted in an operating company entering into detailed negotiations with the Council which would lead to 2 fast charging points in each of Riverside and Bolebridge car parks.


The Head of Economic Development and Regeneration reported that he was also aware that there were discussions between private landowners and charging companies for further charging points (slower charging levels) in the Borough.


The Committee sought clarification on the following areas:

·       Further details on the expected timescales to deliver these fast chargers, where the Head of Economic Development responded that, subject to the legal negotiations progressing well, he would be disappointed if this was not possible by the end of the financial year 2021/22.

·       Whether the Council was pursuing Government funding of up to £14,000 which was available, where the Leader responded that the Leader had a meeting with the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles to look at additional funding to support the delivery of EV chargers within areas such as Tamworth where the market had struggled to deliver sufficient capabilities.

·       The variety of charging capacities available for different purposes, where the Leader reported that it was understood that there was a need for various types of charging, fast and trickle charging.

·       Whether further consideration including commercial details and financial costs associated with the proposals which would be likely to be confidential could be considered during a private meeting.  The Leader proposed that a confidential briefing from the Head of Economic Development and Regeneration would be circulated to members, which the Committee agreed would be helpful.




The Portfolio Holder reported that the garage clearance project which was underway and was designed to provide additional parking for residents, would additionally where possible, look to include  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.


Public Space Protection Orders Kettlebrook and Warwickshire Moor pdf icon PDF 77 KB

(Report of the Assistant Director, Partnerships)

Additional documents:


The Chair welcomed the Portfolio Holder for Regulatory and Community Safety and the Assistant Director, Partnerships to the meeting to present the report in respect of the proposed extension of Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) in Kettlebrook and Bolehall (Warwickshire Moor).


The Portfolio Holder introduced the Assistant Director, Partnerships who provided an overview to the Committee of the previous approval process for the two PSPOs which were put in place in 2018.  It was reported that anti-social behaviour in the areas had reduced and that the PSPOs were considered to have had a deterrent effect.  The Police had been consulted on the proposal to renew the PSPOs and the Police were fully supportive of this. It was reported that no fixed penalties had been issued under these PSPOs. Whilst consideration had been given to extending the boundaries of the areas covered by of the PSPOs, the Police were supportive to keep the border as it currently was.


Clarification was sought on why a small car park adjacent to the boundary on the Kettlebrook PSPO was not included, and it was reported that this was because on car parks the Police utilised, if necessary, the vehicle nuisance PSPO.  


RESOLVED that the Committee approved delegation to the Portfolio Holder, Regulatory and Community Safety for the extension of the Public Space Protection Orders as outlined and attached in the Report.


(Moved by Councillor Dr S Peaple and seconded by Councillor B Price)


The Portfolio Holder and Assistant Director, Partnerships then left the meeting.



Responses to Reports of the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee

Update on responses received to Reports of the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee


The Chair reported that whilst no recommendations had been taken to Cabinet since 15th September 2021 meeting, Cabinet had received the Future High Streets Fund update at its meeting on 30th September 2021 and thanked this Committee for previously scrutinising the report.



Consideration of Matters referred to the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee from Cabinet or Council

(Discussion item)


None specifically referred to this meeting.


Forward Plan

(Discussion item – link to Forward Plan is attached)



The Committee reviewed the Forward Plan and considered that the following items could require future consideration:


·       Council Housing Repairs Policy

·       Future High Streets Fund


It was noted that Corporate Scrutiny Committee had reviewed the first 12 months performance of the existing Housing Repairs contract, and therefore the Chair agreed to contact the Chair of Corporate Scrutiny to coordinate further activity in this area.


Working Group Updates

To receive updates from any Working Groups


The Vice-Chair reported that following a meeting with the Head of Environmental Health and the Portfolio Holder for Regulatory and Community Safety, it remained important for this Committee to receive further clarification on the processes followed by the Council and by the Police when Travellers access land within the Borough.  The Chair reported that the Portfolio Holder and the Assistant Director had agreed to bring further details forward for this Committee’s scrutiny in the new year.


Infrastructure Safety & Growth Scrutiny Committee Work Plan pdf icon PDF 106 KB

(Update and discussion on the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Scrutiny Work Plan)


The Committee considered and updated its work plan as follows.  It was agreed that a new working group, chaired by Councillor B Price, be formed to consider facilities for HGV drivers in Tamworth following this matter being raised by residents.



Infrastructure, Safety and Growth Scrutiny Work Plan

Work Plan 2021 - 2022



Quarterly updates

Future High Street Fund (Growth) – Quarterly updates – starting March 2021

Date be confirmed 2021

Review of Council Housing Repairs Policy


November 2021 (tbc)

Review of Taxi Licensing Policy – Points System

23 November 2021

Future High Streets Fund update

23 November 2021

Infrastructure Funding Statement

Quarterly updates commencing pre 31.12.21

Waste Management

Date to be confirmed – 2021 / 22

Community Safety overview to include:

  • Invitation to Tamworth Police Commander
  • Invitation to Police, Crime and Fire Commissioner
  • CCTV update
  • E-Scooters and E-Bikes
  • Modern Slavery update
  • Business Crime Reduction Partnership Update

24th March 2022

Future High Streets Fund update

Date to be confirmed - 2021 /22

Garage Sites

Date to be confirmed (early 2022)

Review of policy / engagement with stakeholders relating to Travellers


July 2022 (tbc)

Fire Safety Update

Date to be confirmed - 2022

EV Charging update


Working Groups



Possible WG Members

Target IS&G Com meeting date


Open to all


Review of policy / engagement relating to Travellers



Facilities for HGV drivers in Tamworth

Cllrs B Price (WG chair), Dr S Peaple and R Claymore



Upcoming Infrastructure, Safety and Growth Scrutiny Committee Meetings

23rd November 2021

19th January 2022

24th March 2022