ModGov Infozone - Click to go to Tamworth Borough Council website

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services 01827 709616 

Media

Items
No. Item

21.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors J Chesworth, A Cooper and M Summers.

22.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 334 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 7th July 2021 were approved as a correct record.

 

(Moved by Councillor Dr S Peaple and seconded by Councillor B Price)

23.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of Members’ interests (personal and/or personal and prejudicial) in any matters which are to be considered at this meeting.

 

When Members are declaring a personal interest or personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they have dispensation, they should specify the nature of such interest.  Members should leave the room if they have a personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they do not have a dispensation. 

 

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

24.

Update from the Chair

To receive an update from the Chair

Minutes:

There was no Chair’s update, beyond the matters which would be raised under later items on the agenda.

25.

Responses to Reports of the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee

Update on responses received to Reports of the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee

Minutes:

The Chair reported that following this Committee’s consideration of and support of the recommendations within the Local Development Scheme and Local Plan Timetable report at its meeting on 7th July 2021, the report was approved by Cabinet.

 

26.

Consideration of Matters referred to the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Committee from Cabinet or Council

(Discussion item)

Minutes:

The Chair reported that no matters had been referred by Cabinet or Council to this Committee.  However it was noted that at the previous full Council meeting when the Recovery & Reset Arrangements were approved, it had been considered that going forwards it would be appropriate for the relevant scrutiny committees to maintain oversight of the various workstreams.  It was noted that the scrutiny chairs would consider which scrutiny committee would lead on the various workstreams and update the Committees as appropriate.

27.

Future High Streets Fund Update pdf icon PDF 110 KB

(Report of the Leader of the Council)

Minutes:

The Chair introduced Councillor J Oates, the Leader of the Council, Anna Miller, Assistant Director, Growth & Regeneration and Tom Hobbs, Future High Streets Fund Project Officer to the Committee to provide an update.

 

It was reported that this was intended to be one of four per year update reports to the Committee, with the next one expected in November 2021.

 

The key points highlighted were:

1.     Procurement where significant steps forward had been made to appoint a Lead Consultant, which would include the provision of services to the project related to architecture, Quantity Surveying and engineering,  with the tender process nearly completed following interviews with the shortlisted tenderers in the previous week.   A final recommendation had been made to the Programme Board and following completion of the necessary legal arrangements, further details would be provided.

2.     Surveys where measured surveys, topographical surveys and utilities mapping of the buildings and areas affected by the Future High Streets Fund had commenced.

3.     Projects where an overview of the progress made in the three areas was provided, and in particular, in regard to the College Quarter Project that South Staffordshire College had achieved a first round pass for their funding bid to the Department for Education.

4.     Engagement and Communications where a plan regarding engagement and communication had been approved by the Project Board which included targeted engagement events as well as the development of a website to provide more general updates.

 

The Committee sought clarifications in the following areas:

·       Confirmation of the Lead Consultant when the appointment process had been completed and confirmation that there were robust arrangements in place regarding further appointments by the Lead Consultant.

·       Clarification over the arrangements for how the Council’s Lead Consultant and any Lead Consultant appointed by the College could work together, where it was confirmed that consideration had been given to facilitate collaborative working.  Furthermore, the membership of the Project Board included the Chief Executive of South Staffordshire College and whilst the Council currently did not have representation on the College’s Project Board, this had been raised.

·       The Committee noted that the College’s funding bid had gone through to the next stage and sought clarification on whether any sales proceeds of the College’s existing assets would be sufficient for the project to progress if the funding bid were ultimately unsuccessful.  The Assistant Director reported that the current project required both the sale proceeds and funding bid to proceed.

·       Whether currently the budget remained on target given the further details and progress made, including with third parties and how the Council was achieving and confirming value for money through the project in terms of valuations of third party property.   It was confirmed that the project remained on target, however, further detailed costing work would commence once the Lead Consultant was appointed.

·       Conservation activity and the importance to work with Historic England and to engage early with them and to seek pragmatic solutions where necessary so that the projects deliver for the residents of Tamworth.

·       The potential  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Forward Plan

(Discussion item – link to Forward Plan is attached)

 

http://democracy.tamworth.gov.uk/mgListPlans.aspx?RPId=120&RD=0&bcr=1

 

Minutes:

The Chair highlighted the Review of Council Housing Repairs Policy which was due for Cabinet consideration in November 2021 and could be considered by this Committee at its October meeting.

29.

Working Group Updates

To receive updates from any Working Groups

Minutes:

The Chair provided a brief update on the working group which had been formed in relation to Travellers and reported that this had raised further questions which had been forwarded to Officers and that additionally the Chair planned to meet with the Portfolio Holder to discuss further work in this area.

 

The Chair invited Councillor T Clements to provide an update on the working group in relation to Fireworks.  The working group comprised Councillors Clements (Working Group Chair), Claymore, Summers, Chesworth and Maycock who had met and looked at ambient fireworks, regulating the sale of fireworks and the need for further legislation from Government and the main agreement from the working group was the need to set an example as a Council. 

30.

Infrastructure Safety & Growth Scrutiny Committee Work Plan pdf icon PDF 206 KB

(Update and discussion on the Infrastructure Safety & Growth Scrutiny Work Plan)

Minutes:

The Chair reported that he would like to the Committee to consider the following items which were agreed to be added to the work plan:

1.     Review of Council Housing Repairs Policy;

2.     Electric Vehicle Charging item – an update on progress;

3.     Waste Management.

It was further suggested that the Police Commissioner, Councillor Ben Adams, be invited to attend the Committee at an early opportunity.

 

The Committee agreed to update the work as follows:

 

Infrastructure, Safety and Growth Scrutiny Work Plan

Work Plan 2021 - 2022

DATE

SUBJECT

Quarterly updates

Future High Street Fund (Growth) – Quarterly updates – starting March 2021

October 2021

Kettlebrook and Bolehall Public Space Protection Orders

October 2021

Review of Council Housing Repairs Policy

 

Date to be confirmed – 2021 / 22

Community Safety overview to include:

  • Invitation to Tamworth Police Commander
  • Invitation to Police, Crime and Fire Commissioner
  • CCTV update
  • E-Scooters and E-Bikes
  • Modern Slavery update
  • Business Crime Reduction Partnership Update

Date to be confirmed - 2021 /22

Garage Sites & EV Charging update

Date to be confirmed

Review of policy / engagement with stakeholders relating to Travellers

 

Date to be confirmed

Waste Management

November 2021

Review of Taxi Licensing Policy – Points System

July 2022 (tbc)

Fire Safety Update

 

Working Groups

 

Topic

Possible WG Members

Target IS&G Com meeting date

Fireworks

Open to all

tbc

Review of policy / engagement relating to Travellers

 

 

 

Upcoming Infrastructure, Safety and Growth Scrutiny Committee Meetings

12th October 2021

23rd November 2021

19th January 2022

24th March 2022