Venue: Committee Room 1, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services 01827 709264
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for Absence were received from Councillor R Kingstone.
The Minutes of the previous Corporate Scrutiny Committee held on the 14 June 2017 were approved and signed as a correct record.
(Moved by Councillor A James and seconded by Councillor S Peaple)
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of Members’ interests (personal and/or personal and prejudicial) in any matters which are to be considered at this meeting.
When Members are declaring a personal interest or personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they have dispensation, they should specify the nature of such interest. Members should leave the room if they have a personal and prejudicial interest in respect of which they do not have a dispensation.
There were no Declarations of Interest.
The Chair proposed that the Quarter Four 2016/17 Performance Report was reviewed prior to being taken to Cabinet and The Leader of the Council Councillor D Cook was in attendance to answer questions raised by Members, this was to form part of the Forward Plan agenda item.
· Capital Outturn Report – Members clarified the position with regards to rising building costs and the potential impact.
Councillor Cook confirmed that this was covered by fixed tenders and the impact mitigated.
· An update was requested with regards to boundary building by neighbouring Councils.
Councillor Cook confirmed that Government intervention had been sought regarding the approved planning by Lichfield Council and that a call-in public enquiry was agreed with a proposed date of January 2018. Tamworth Borough Council has Rule 6 status ensuring that they are able to speak at the enquiry and have sought assurance from Stafford County Council that they had also served the correct Rule 6 notice. As anything further developed this would be updated to the committee.
· Clarification was sought as to the Diversity and Equalities update.
It was advised that this was in relation to the employment of staff and ensuring that Tamworth Borough Council conformed to this legislation.
· Members discussed the size of the Forward Plan and the types of items that were expected to be included.
Councillor Cook confirmed that policy stage of the Forward Plan had passed and it is now in delivery therefore it is expected to be lighter. In addition policy decisions are coming through but would not be an addition to the Forward Plan until a date for the decision has been passed.
Quarter Four 2016/17 Performance Report
· Councillor A James sought clarification on the following areas of risk:
What is being done to reduce the deficit on Housing arrears not recovered?
The Leader of the Council confirmed that as a representation of the overall rents collected this deficit reflects approximately 1% and everything that is possible is done to collect the monies owing.
Information Management and IT Infrastructure is shown as a medium risk – failure to secure and manage data and IT infrastructure, why is this?
Councillor Cook confirmed that Tamworth Borough Council does have back up sites and that part of the transformation review is to ensure that personnel are able to log on to computer systems that are effectively backed up.
Failure to manage Health & Safety is shown as a medium risk.
Councillor D Cook confirmed that this is a shared function with Lichfield District Council and as such there is a shared Health and Safety Officer.
Taxi licensing process not followed, giving rise to licenses being issued to persons who are not fit and proper, is shown as a medium risk.
Councillor D Cook believes that this is not a reflection on Tamworth Borough Council, but is representative ... view the full minutes text for item 9.
· Forward Plan would always be at the top of each Agenda for future meetings.
· Quarterly Performance Report will be led in future by the calendar, to enable review prior to going to cabinet. It was proposed and agreed that a working party consisting of Councillors A James, S Peaple and T Madge take this forward and feedback to the full Committee at the next meeting.
· Update on the Corporate Investment Strategy a discussion took place and it was agreed that Section 106 Briefing Paper would be sent out to all committee members.
· Post Creation of Company the committee to approach the Chief Executive requesting a report on the creation of the company and clarify the current position in terms of timescale for feedback at the next meeting.
· Local Plan Update was to be carried forward to March 2018 by which time the committee may have received an update regarding the Call-in on the Lichfield District Council planning application.
· Procurement Review was deemed to be a vast area to look at and it was agreed that a working party consisting of Councillors P Thurgood, P Standen, M Summers would be formed to establish the scope of the work in this area with an initial feedback date of January 2018.
· Tamworth Borough Council Properties direction review would take the form of a working group consisting of Councillors J Oates, S Peaple, P Thurgood, R Ford and P Standen who would feedback findings to the committee in October 2017.
· Housing Revenue Account Tenants Group meets monthly, with representation from the Corporate Scrutiny Committee available to attend. Nominations were received and it was agreed that Councillors P Standen and R Ford would attend with the caveat to allow substitutions.
· Housing Revenue Account Business Plan timeline to be confirmed.
· Local Infrastructure and connectivity to broadband and fibre providers be explored by way of a working group consisting of Councillors M Summers, P Standen, R Ford, P Thurgood and T Madge. An initial feedback of discussions to take place at the meeting in October 2017, with a view to requesting suppliers in for a Questions and Answer meeting involving the local press and utilising Democratic Services and Officer support in the scheduling of this meeting.
(Blank Work Plan and Vision Flyer)
Corporate Scrutiny Work Plan